Glossary of Rare Book Terms

What is a rare book? What is signed versus inscribed? What is a first edition? What does 8vo stand for?
Find some of the common jargon booksellers and book collectors often use.

Would you like to see a glossary term added? A term you heard but don't know what it means? Suggest a Term

Be invited to download your free copy of The Antiquarian Book Glossary.

Endpaper, Endleave
Endpapers are typically not part of the book as printed. They are the double leaves added at front and back by the binder, the outer leaf of each being pasted to the inner surface of the cover (becoming the paste-down), the inner leaves (or free endpapers) forming the first and last of the volume when bound or cased.
Ephemera is a rather broad term. Of Greek origin, it means things lasting no more than a day, i.e., not originally intended to be collected. Typical items being described as ephemera include posters, letters, tickets, book plates and bookmarks, catalogs, film scripts and screenplays, and almost anything else book related.
A book illustrated by means of engravings, variant title pages, and the like, which were not included in the book by the publisher, but added later. This additional matter may consist of original drawings, manuscripts, etc., but it may also consist of leaves taken from other books. The added material may be mounted, inlaid, or trimmed to conform to the size of the other leaves of the book. Also called "Grangerized" (a term derived from the vogue begun by the publication of James Granger's Biographical history of England, in 1769, in which Granger had blank leaves included so that the owner could insert desired illustrations).