Book Condition: Near Fine
Edition: First Edition; First Printing
Publisher: Charleston, SC: Evans & Cogswell, 1861.
An attractive first edition/first printing in Near Fine condition with minor soiling to front. (Turnbull, Vol. III, p. 332).
The Charleston Orphan House was founded in 1790. It was situated on its original site on the corner of Calhoun and St. Philip Streets in Downtown Charleston until 1951, at which time the building was demolished and relocated to North Charleston. The city of Charleston was involved in the operation of the new facility, which had been renamed Oak Grove, until 1978, when it was finally privatized. A rare piece of South Caroliniana, Charlestoniana, and Americana; -40 pages.