Glossary of Rare Book Terms

What is a rare book? What is signed versus inscribed? What is a first edition? What does 8vo stand for?
Find some of the common jargon booksellers and book collectors often use.

Would you like to see a glossary term added? A term you heard but don't know what it means? Suggest a Term

Be invited to download your free copy of The Antiquarian Book Glossary.

Laid Paper
Paper having a ribbed texture imparted by the manufacturing process. In the 19th century its use diminished as it was largely supplanted by wove paper.
In pre-mechanical papermaking (from the 12th century into the 1800s), the laid pattern was produced by the wire sieve in the rectangular mold used to produce single sheets of paper.
Modern papermaking techniques use a roll to create the laid pattern effect during the early stages of manufacture, in the same way as applying a paper watermark.
Basic bibliographical unit: the piece of paper comprising one page on its front side (recto, obverse) and another on its back (verso, reverse).
Leporello binding
The name leporello is derived from Mozart's opera of Don Giovanni. Leporello was his manservant. He kept a record of Don Giovanni's female conquests in a book. At the end of Act II he spread the book across the stage. It's an accordion fold of unlimited width. Pages are joined to form the accordion.
Method for printing using a stone (lithographic limestone) or a metal plate with a completely smooth surface. Check here for more information about the process.