Glossary of Rare Book Terms

What is a rare book? What is signed versus inscribed? What is a first edition? What does 8vo stand for?
Find some of the common jargon booksellers and book collectors often use.

Would you like to see a glossary term added? A term you heard but don't know what it means? Suggest a Term

Be invited to download your free copy of The Antiquarian Book Glossary.

Yapp, Yapp Edges
Yapp, so called after the London bookseller who invented it about 1860, is a style of binding with overlapping edges or flaps on all three edges. Hence, yapp edges, meaning the flaps.