Glossary of Rare Book Terms

What is a rare book? What is signed versus inscribed? What is a first edition? What does 8vo stand for?
Find some of the common jargon booksellers and book collectors often use.

Would you like to see a glossary term added? A term you heard but don't know what it means? Suggest a Term

Be invited to download your free copy of The Antiquarian Book Glossary.

A piece of type metal lower than the raised typeface, used for filling spaces and blank lines. Also called quad. Can leave quad mark when not properly mounted.
Quarto or 4to
The size of a book whose pages are made by folding a sheet of paper twice to form four leaves.